The latest round of executive orders from the Trump administration are aimed at cracking down on sanctuary cities and strengthening immigration enforcement policy. They include the following:
1) Prioritization of all undocumented immigrants for deportation. Whether this applies to DACA holders remains unclear.
2) Suspension of the intake of any new refugees from Syria
3) Suspension of visas from Syria, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen.
4) Authorization of the use of federal funds for the building of a wall along U.S.-Mexico border.
5) Suspension of federal funds to cities with “sanctuary” policies and request for a review from the attorney general as to whether these cities are in violation of federal law
Please note that advocates within the New Orleans community are working to support immigrants through this difficult period. We are committed to keep our community informed by sharing new information as it becomes available.